—Vision statement from the 2015 Comprehensive Conservation and Management Plan (CCMP)
To fulfill the vision of a restored and protected Long Island Sound the partner agencies of the Long Island Sound Study in 2015 revised its Comprehensive Conservation and Management Plan. The Plan seeks to achieve four primary goals under four themes:
The 2015 CCMP also sets ambitious, but achievable, long-term targets for the Sound. These ecosystem targets are intended to drive progress toward attaining CCMP goals. Measuring, tracking, and reporting environmental indicators of each ecosystem target will provide information to assess progress and refine and adapt management as needed. The ecosystem targets are described below in pdf documents (note: there are no ecosystem targets for theme 4):
1. Ecosystem targets for Clean Waters and Healthy Watersheds
2. Ecosystem targets for Thriving Habitats and Abundant Wildlife
3. Ecosystem targets for Sustainable and Resilient Communities
- The 2015 CCMP is available to read in the media center of the Long Island Sound Study website. It includes chapters on each of the four themes with a list of the outcomes, objectives, strategies and implementation actions needed to achieve the goals and meet the ecosystem targets.
- The Implementation Actions are also described in detail in supplemental documents that are posted in the media center. Each “IA” was developed as a five-year action (2015-2019) to be updated every five years to allow for adaptive management and inclusion of emerging scientific and technological advances.